(keitai-l) Re: Wireless Watch No. 46 (from J@pan Inc magazine) 03/04/2002 [editors@japaninc.com]

From: Sam Joseph <gaijin_at_yha.att.ne.jp>
Date: 03/05/02
Curt Sampson wrote:

>On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Sam Joseph wrote:
>
>>seems to me it give the Americans the advantage of already being
>>well-versed in the target software platform....
>>
>There's no reason for the Japanese not to be just as well versed
>in it. Especially given that Japanese is the only foreign language
>deemed important enough to get its own translation of the API.
>
>I learned the basics of Java in a month, and it took me perhaps a
>year of full-time use to get to the "pretty much an expert stage."
>If the Japanese can't or won't do this, well, they're going to lose
>no matter what language they pick.

I think you're just being arrogant and dismissive.  If a computer
language is being created in the states and its development is being
driven by American developers, it seems to be that American developers
are likely to have an advantage working in it.

You're inviting us to think that either Java is trivial to become
proficient in, or that you are such a code god that it is trivial for
you and if the Japanese aren't up to your standard then they deserve to
lose out, i.e. either arrogant or dismissive.

I find your argument unpleasant and patronizing, and wish you would stop
taking that kind of tone because it irritates me and demeans yourself.

>>, and the additional
>>advantage of a large Japanese corporation paying whatever licensing fees
>>to a large American corporation (Docomo -> Sun)
>>

>They can always buy their JVM elsewhere, or write it themselves.
>If buying it from Sun is the cheapest solution, isn't that the best
>route for the company to take?

Sure if you only care about short term profits.  I'm not suggesting that
Docomo should have gone elsewhere.  I'm just observing that comments
like "the Japanese wireless developers are light years ahead" seem a
little shallow when they are working with a software platform that is
from the US.

It seems to me that ultimately the wonderful lightyears ahead Japanese
keitai will end up meaning very little outside Japan.  It will become
just a footnote in the 2015 anti-trust trial of Sun, when 95% of the
worlds wireless devices end up.  Or not.  At the end of the day like I
actually care either way ...

SAM