(keitai-l) Short Term Phone Rentals in Japan

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 03/17/02
On Sun, 17 Mar 2002, Gerhard Fasol wrote:

> "Dr. Carsten Bormann" wrote:
>
> > PS.: Where can I get FOMA phones and subscriptions for my July/August Japan
> > visit?
>
> This is question 1.19 in the imode-faq:
> http://www.eurotechnology.com/imode/faq-gen.html
>
> You can get a FOMA phone + subscription at about 1 million stores
> in Japan. As a foreigner you'll the Alian Registration Card.

Unfortunately, the answer there is not very helpful, the answer
being basically, "You can't."

Alien registration cards are procured at your local ward office.
But as far as I know, you can't get an alien registration card
without a permanent address here and a non-tourst visa. Even with
a tourist visa, your card is going to indicate that you can't stay
for longer than three months, which may make Docomo somewhat
reluctant to give you a contract.

You'd think there would be someone in Japan who does short-term
phone rentals, but I don't know who it is. Someone like Nooper Labs
(oops, is this a plug? :-)) <http://www.nooper.com> might, for a
fee, let you come in and use their phones.

cjs