(keitai-l) Re: Nokia-Germany CEO interview

From: Tom Kelly <tom_kelly_us_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 03/17/02
--- Tony Chan <tonyc@telecomasia.net> wrote:

> Can't help but wonder out loud what Nokia will be
> providing AT&T Wireless in the
> US. They actually have a contract to supply handsets
> for ATTW's upcoming
> GPRS/EDGE network.
>Since DoCoMo and ATTW have
> already said they will be deploying
> some kind of i-mode,

In a way, ATTW already has. ATTW has started
the packet charging service on GPRS in
Seattle and a few other areas. What is not changed is
their content, handsets and most importantly the
i-mode business models.

>does that mean Nokia will balk
> on the contract, or wait for
> WAP 2.0 before moving ahead with phones for ATTW,
> which is supposed to support
> HTML, or at least, XHTML Basic..., which everyone
> knows is just like cHTML,
> right?

From what I have learned, Nokia does have
contract with ATTW. And the contract is
'very  good' for ATTW. Nokia needs to hold on its
contract with carriers in order to sustain its market
share. Giving up the contract with ATTW will only give
other handset makers opportunities to erode its
regional market.

Tom