(keitai-l) Control over i-mode

From: Christian Vollmann <vollmann_at_whu.edu>
Date: 03/20/02
Hello everybody!

I am new to this list, so I might as well introduce myself: I am a German
business student currently writing a paper on how DoCoMo controls the i-mode
platform and the implications for i-modešs success in Europe. Prof. Funk was
kind enough to point me to this list. Maybe someone can help me with a few
questions:

As of today, what technical aspects of the i-mode platform remain
proprietary (or otherwise in control) of NTT DoCoMo (since PDC and cHTML are
open and Net Front is by Access)? Does DoCoMo hold any patents on i-mode
technology?

What OS do the i-mode handsets run on? Is it Symbian EPOC or something
proprietary?

Regarding openess vs. control of the content: Does DoCoMo force some content
providers to provide their content exclusively only to i-mode in order to
become official i-mode sites or can all the official i-mode sites also be
offered on J-Sky and EZWeb?

What are the reasons behind NTT DoCoMošs decision to open up the i-mode
platform to other ISPšs (who can then offer their own ŗi-menus˛) in autumn?
Regulatory issues?

Regarding interoperability: Can J-Sky and EZWeb users view i-mode sites and
vice versa (can i-mode users view J-Sky and EZWeb sites)? If not, what keeps
them from doing so? Technical incompatibilities or are they blocked?

Can i-mode users send i-mails only to other i-mode users or to J-Sky and
EZWeb users, too?

If I missed any important aspect of how NTT DoCoMo keeps in control over
i-mode, please let me know!

Thank you so much for your help!

Christian Vollmann
Otto-Beisheim Graduate School of Management (WHU), Koblenz, Germany

p.s. I you donšt mind, I would like to quote your answers in my paper (if
appropriate).