(keitai-l) Re: European i-mode

From: Hans de Graaff <hans_at_degraaff.org>
Date: 03/20/02
On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, ercan@ivida.org wrote:

> Last saturday I had a chance to visit I-mode stand at Cebit Fair as
> well.  It is interesting that I-mode in Germany covers only the
> c-html content.. There is nothing changed with the current network
> system. They only introduced new mobiles with a capability of
> surfing c-html content. For bearer they are promoting GPRS...So it
> is still 2.5G but they announce this as 3G ???Any ideas?

I have not seen E-Plus or KPN promote this as 3G anywhere. Do you have
references? Perhaps there was mention that i-mode over GPRS can be an
important step towards services on 3G, but that is not the same as
saying that current European i-mode is 3G.

I'm also wondering what else you would have expected, apart from the
terminals displaying i-HTML content?

> For java issues i also asked some couple of questions. Docomo phones
> with E-plus dont support DoCoMo Java Extensions. I dont know why but
> they were not willing to answer this question.

The NEC terminal doesn't support Java at all.

Hans

--==-=-=

--==-=-=