(keitai-l) Re: European i-mode

From: Paul Bryan Lester <pbl1_at_livedoor.com>
Date: 03/23/02
    European handsets do support e-moji.

    As to how, I used the specifics, but I don't have the details with me.

    I only so far have used e-moji in JSky in Japan and with i-mode in Europe
and so haven't needed to check if i-mode in Europe and Japan use the same
e-moji representation method.
.... anyone know?  I do not remember if I knew.

    JSky e-moji and i-mode Europe e-moji are different though.  Besides
technical stuff.  some of the JPhone emoji say JPhone and are animated!

    But I do know that handling e-moji with dynamic pages was painful but
doable and a learning experience ... and thats life.  Static pages are "no
problemo."

    ROM space is probably no problem... but testing is.... and the more features
the more testing... the longer the launch will be delayed.  ( Unless you
prefer featureful buggy phones)  Thats what makes some DoCoMo phones strong.

    While JPhone was busy sticking junky cameras in all their phones.... DoCoMo
was doing i-appli.  While JPhone tried to support 30k i-appli with a non-
public API, DoCoMo kept them down to 10k with a public API.... its all about
cutting features to increase performance, and decrease debugging time.  Take it a
little slower and do it a little better... thats sometimes a good idea ...

    Also the docs are much more concise and direct from DoCoMo than
from JPhone ... less features means higher quality and less bugs.

    (As a programmer its always tempting to add and add needed stuff...
but in reality simplicity is the key to success,  in the end the user often
doesn't need that extra feature you added that ends up not working.).

    Lastly I've always had problems with Unicode.  It seems there are a whole
fleet of related and unrelated unicode encodings out there.  Which one is UTF-8
and is there more than one type of UTF-8.... it drives me nuts sometimes
trying to figure out which unicode encoding something is in when it just says
unicode.  The docs list all this big-endian and little-endian stuff that
I can't be bothered to sort through.  But if it is UTF-8 and there is only
1 UTF-8 I could really get to like that.