(keitai-l) Re: Most Advanced 3G Network in the World Isn't in Japan

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 03/24/02
On Sat, 23 Mar 2002, Alistair Jeffs wrote:

> I think he said 'most advanced test' although it was a test that was
> delayed and delayed.

Ah, right. Got me on that one. Never mind that the test is not as
advanced as a current production system. Oh well. Another case of
"journalism," I guess.

> the lack of handover from 3G to GSM was a reason for the delay. looks like
> they didn't solve it.

Oh, was that actually a requirement? It sounds rather..difficult.

I think even putting GSM and 3G in a single phone that didn't weigh
a ton would be a pretty good achievement. You might be able to live
without the handover if you had good coverage within the areas that
do have 3G, though I think that FOMA has shown us how hard this
can be.

At any rate, I've appended the response I received.

cjs