(keitai-l) Re: korean handset subsidies

From: Eric Hildum <Eric_Hildum_at_itochu.net>
Date: 04/04/02
The human eye is most sensitive to luminance, which is why 4.5 MHz of the
television signal is devoted to it. The color information is transmitted in
two bands of 1.5MHz and 0.5MHz, and almost all televisions filter the color
to 0.5MHz in the receiver anyway.

Any system using 10 bits per channel for RGB is wasting bandwidth; even ten
bits for the total signal is a bit high. You can dig up my ICASSP paper for
some results on compression using properties of the human vision (it's
mostly right).

The CIE has done a lot of work in this area, but be warned it is an
extremely complicated subject.

--
Eric Hildum