(keitai-l) Re: In case you invested in 3G...

From: Mark Frieser <mark_at_consect.com>
Date: 04/27/02
The tipping point is 2000 1x combined with video, pictures and GPS services.
KDDI has sold over 280K 3G handsets in one month in Japan - which is five
times the figure for six months of FOMA. This is due to the reliability of
the network, the cost of the phones (about half that of the retail price of
FOMA) and the services available.

Basically, there's not much that differentiates FOMA for available 2G
services, which is hampering the growth of FOMA... On the other hand with
KDDI/2000 1x, they have a greater range of streaming video and GPs services
than FOMA that work much more efficiently than those of FOMA.

Honestly, its a matter of price and what you can do with the phones, and
they will never really take off until you get 3G digital media downloads
cheaper than say 25-50 cents US per download.

That's my opinion.  Until then, there's really nothing to make 3G take off -
in effect you can get most of what is available via 2G.

Mark