(keitai-l) Re: Opinions on newer J-Phones

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 05/16/02
On Thu, 16 May 2002, Funk wrote:

> [Re AU 3G vs. Foma]
>
> what do you think are the interesting 3G contents and applications and how
> do they compare to what is available on FOMA?

In terms of contents, I've not seen anything that particularly grabs me.
The only content I've seen so far that can't be done on the 2G phones
is video stuff, which might be a nice little bonus, but is not, to me,
worth buying a phone for.

However, AU in general has better features (better voice quality,
faster download speeds, bigger applets, GPS), and AU's 3G basically
just takes that all further (e.g., faster downloads yet), and chucks
in a camera as well. And the phones are quite cheap (8800 yen--half
what I paid for Docomo phone with far fewer capabilities!) and of
an appropriate size and weight.

The basic problem with FOMA, from my point of view, is that I have
to pay a lot more and give up some things (such as having a lighweight
phone with long battery life) for not much gain. If it gives me
the ability to run as-yet-unwritten killer apps (for video or
whatever), that's fine, but I'm not interesting in paying for that
until those apps are there and I need them. (But they're not likely
to appear until enough people can run them.)

cjs