(keitai-l) Re: [link] wlan/plan

From: Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings_at_roundpoint.com>
Date: 06/10/02
On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Eric Hildum wrote:

> I'm sorry, but I have a tough time installing RFCs into real networks. RFCs
> are helpful in that they can provide a level of interoperability, but in the
> end I need real hardware and real software to install, not a specification
> of what should be installed. That is, the RFC is a starting point, not an
> end point.

If the RFC is a Draft Standard or Internet Standard then real software
does exist.  Quoting from RFC 2026, which defines the Internet standards
process:

    4.1.2  Draft Standard

       A specification from which at least two independent and
       interoperable implementations from different code bases have been
       developed, and for which sufficient successful operational
       experience has been obtained, may be elevated to the "Draft
       Standard" level.

    4.1.3  Internet Standard

       A specification for which significant implementation and successful
       operational experience has been obtained may be elevated to the
       Internet Standard level.  An Internet Standard (which may simply be
       referred to as a Standard) is characterized by a high degree of
       technical maturity and by a generally held belief that the
       specified protocol or service provides significant benefit to the
       Internet community.