(keitai-l) Re: [link] wlan/plan

From: Benjamin Kowarsch <benjk_at_mac.com>
Date: 06/11/02
On Tuesday, June 11, 2002, at 01:14 , Ben Hutchings wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Eric Hildum wrote:
>
>> I'm sorry, but I have a tough time installing RFCs into real networks.
>> RFCs
>> are helpful in that they can provide a level of interoperability, but
>> in the
>> end I need real hardware and real software to install, not a
>> specification
>> of what should be installed. That is, the RFC is a starting point, not
>> an
>> end point.
>
> If the RFC is a Draft Standard or Internet Standard then real software
> does exist.

Well, some companies - usually outside of the Unix space - seem to have
very serious difficulties to properly implement RFCs.

I know of at least one major company which sells two different email
clients the IMAP implementation of which is mutually exclusive, despite
the standard. Oooops.

Eric's frustration may or may not have to do with that company's
products - in any event he deserves our sympathy.

rgds
benjamin