(keitai-l) Re: [link] wlan/plan

From: Benjamin Kowarsch <benjk_at_mac.com>
Date: 06/11/02
On Tuesday, June 11, 2002, at 08:36 , cfb wrote:

> My personal feeling is that the handset makers should just put
> the damned compact flash slot on their phones, add the hardware
> into their API and let the programmers do their thing.  If they
> build it and nobody comes, the handset makers can turn it into
> another battery compartment.

At the risk of being flamed again for promoting something so uncool as
European GSM technology ... it would have done the Japanese market a lot
of good if they had at least introduced GSM compatible SIM cards. They
should have done that years ago.

Using SIM toolkit, you would then get something not unlike the slot you
proposed.

There is also the Java SIM card.

But obviously you can't have SIM cards in a market where the market
leading network has a near monopolistic grip on the phone manufacturers.
Imagine any customer of J-Phone or KDDI could just buy any handset,
stick their SIM card in and use it on a non-DoCoMo network. That would
amount to competition and of course competition is tantamount to anarchy.

regards
benjamin