(keitai-l) Re: [link] wlan/plan

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 06/13/02
On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, Benjamin Kowarsch wrote:

> But obviously you can't have SIM cards in a market where the market
> leading network has a near monopolistic grip on the phone manufacturers.
> Imagine any customer of J-Phone or KDDI could just buy any handset,
> stick their SIM card in and use it on a non-DoCoMo network.

Well, hey, you can already buy a Docomo phone and use it on every
PDC network in the world! :-)

But if we had true phone portability, handset subsidies would have
to go away. And then we'd all be paying around 30,000 yen for a
new phone, right? Whereas now I can go down to my local Bic Camera,
grab a 504i, and....oh, never mind.

cjs