(keitai-l) Re: GSM, PDC and proprietary systems (was something about WLAN)

From: Petri Ojala <ojala_at_iki.fi>
Date: 06/17/02
> I'm not a fan of the PDC technology but DoCoMo launched service
> in March 1993, more than one year earlier than most big names
> in the GSM world.  I don't think you can tell at that time ...
> that the core network features and interworking were the most
> important.

The importance of roaming was definetly know before; the analog NMT service
had roaming within the Nordic countries and the Netherlands before GSM.

The first handheld GSM phone was introduced in 1992 (Nokia 1011, 475 g(!),
172x62x37 mm) and if I remember correctly, I was roaming with it within the
Nordics '92 and at least in Germany and UK early '93.

Obviously a lot of issues were not known until the networks grew and got
popular but many of the reasons for GSM's success were based on experience
from the analog networks.

Petri