(keitai-l) Re: GSM, PDC and proprietary systems (was something about WLAN)

From: Ken Chang <kench_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 06/17/02
I'm not a fan of the PDC technology but DoCoMo launched service
in March 1993, more than one year earlier than most big names
in the GSM world.  I don't think you can tell at that time ...
that the core network features and interworking were the most
important.

Qualcomm cdma was a great technology, only one year behind GSM
(first launched in September 1995 in Hong Kong).  it's still
the best commercial 3G technology today.

UMTS air-interface is not a good design.  it's outdated already.
even Chinese can do a better job with TD-SCDMA.

DoCoMo said long time ago that they don't believe in one radio
technology, 3G or 4G, maybe never.  already we have WLAN which
doesn't care UMTS at all.  multiple radio modems is the solution
- technology develops.  either built-in all-in-one modems or
detachable cards can do it.

your mobile maybe real like a wallet, with lots of pockets for
. a SIM card
. a bank/credit card (Mobey, incl. JR pass)
. a radio card (WLAN, cdma2000, or UMTS)
. a company security and cafeteria card
. an alien registration card
. personal data files

and you'll look for ads "movie phone with 6 card slots!"
you can decide which network - PDC, cdma, or UMTS - later.

cheers,
  Ken