(keitai-l) Re: GSM, PDC and proprietary systems

From: Benjamin Kowarsch <benjk_at_mac.com>
Date: 06/17/02
On Monday, June 17, 2002, at 08:52 , Ken Chang wrote:

> off topics:
>
> heard that the Japanese are discussing about selecting networks
> on a per call basis, and maybe different network technologies,

that is rather astonishing. before any such business culture develops,
one would expect some other things to show up and develop first, such as
prepaid (which is still far from mainstream) and local number
portability, for instance.

where did you hear this ? do you have any pointers ?

> ... roaming without a home network?
>   or a virtual third-party
> subscription/authentication service (MVNO?) as the home network?

tell me more ... I can almost see the black and white stripes of ZEBRA
shining through this one ;-)

again, where did you hear this and do you have any pointers ?

> think many will love the "immature Japanese market".

Guys, don't take the word "immature" personal in this context. It really
doesn't have any such connotation as one might expect from the use of
the term in relation to a person, for instance.

It just means that a market is still in its pioneering stage, which
isn't all that bad. On the other hand, mature markets mostly mean
commoditisation of products and services and that can be a very very
boring thing. In any event there is no reason to get offended or upset.

kind regards
benjamin