(keitai-l) Re: GSM, PDC and proprietary systems (was something about WLAN)

From: Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings_at_roundpoint.com>
Date: 06/18/02
On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, Ken Chang wrote:

> I'm not a fan of the PDC technology but DoCoMo launched service
> in March 1993, more than one year earlier than most big names
> in the GSM world.  I don't think you can tell at that time ...
> that the core network features and interworking were the most
> important.

The first GSM networks began public operation in mid-1992, actually,
including Vodafone in the UK, T-D1 and D2 in Germany, and France Telecom's
network (now Orange F) in France.  The networking equipment was available
rather earlier than that, but handsets were slow to become available.

> Qualcomm cdma was a great technology, only one year behind GSM
> (first launched in September 1995 in Hong Kong).  it's still
> the best commercial 3G technology today.
<snip>

You're conflating several different CDMA systems there.