(keitai-l) Re: NTT DoCoMo's "Foreigner Tax" Protest 6/20 2PM

From: Benjamin Kowarsch <benjk_at_mac.com>
Date: 06/19/02
On Wednesday, June 19, 2002, at 01:11 , Ben Hutchings wrote:

> Does Japan not have standard systems and agencies for credit rating?  I
> think you would have trouble getting a contract on a phone here in the
> UK
> without evidence of living here for a year or so.  I've not heard of the
> possibility of getting around that by paying a deposit.

Yes you can, but the deposit may be very hefty. I paid a deposit of 1000
GBP in the mid 90s, 250 for service, 250 for international and another
500 for roaming. Deposit was refunded after I had paid my bills properly
for one year.

I think these days most people wouldn't bother and simply go prepaid
instead.

regards
benjamin