(keitai-l) SMS on DoCoMo possible ?

From: Benjamin Kowarsch <benjk_at_mac.com>
Date: 06/19/02
On Wednesday, June 19, 2002, at 12:51 , Gerhard Fasol wrote:

> Nick May wrote:
>>
>> 4) How hard would it be to add sms to - say - the 505 stream of
>> handsets?
>
> The imode handsets all have short-mail (SMS) built in.

I assume that Nick meant to ask about the viability of GSM compatible
SMS service within a non SMS mobile network, in particular PDC.

I believe that this could be done by placing an SMSC (SMS Service
Centre) into the PDC network infrastructure and customise the various
interfaces.

For one, it would require customisation on the signaling level, mainly
the interfaces between the SMSC and MSCs. Then development/integration
work for provisioning and call SDR data collection (SMS call detail
records used for metering and billing). Further the provision of data
links to the GSM world so that SMS can be exchanged with GSM operators.
And finally, new business rules within the rating engine in order to
make sure the new services will be charged for.

While it would be an option to implement the SMS handset interface into
a PDC handset, I don't think that would be the most promising approach.
I would rather envisage to use the messaging capabilities that PDC
handsets already have and then provide a gateway node within the network
to convert signaling somewhere between the PDC handset and the GSM SMSC.
That way, the handset would "think" that it deals with PDC messaging and
the SMSC would "think" it deals with GSM SMS messaging, while the
gateway node would act as a translator between the two.

This way you might not even need to change anything at the handset level
and even handsets already in existence could be used to participate in
the service.

Another option would be to set up an i-mode based SMS service. An SMSC
would be connected to the GSM signaling backbone on the one side and an
i-mode front end on the other. That way, any i-mode user could take part
in GSM SMS services by subscribing to the service and visiting the page
providing the front end every time they want to send an SMS to a GSM
subscriber. For incoming SMS the SMSC could provide an email delivery to
registered i-mode users.

I am confident Logica and CMG would be very well capable of doing such a
project following either approach and sure either company would be
delighted to do it (for a price).

Probably in the order of a million USD, but I am only guessing.

regards
benjamin