(keitai-l) Re: VeriSign's IDN plug-in

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 06/20/02
On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, john yee wrote:

> I read a bit about Chinese in the full unicode spec (I don't remember
> the term...). Apparently it doesn't support entire language, just
> something like 10k+ (characters? brush strokes?).

Last I checked, Unicode supported over 20,000 kanji (though a few
of those are non-Chinese kanji), and another 6,500 were slated for
inclusion in the next revision of the standard.

This is far from the full number of characters that have ever been
used (50-70,000 comes to mind as an estimate I've heard), and new
ones are being invented all the time. But many of these are used
rarely or not at all. For most circumstances, 10,000 kanji is
adequate.

Keep in mind that Unicode is specifically designed not to be a full
solution to all the world's problems of character encoding; it's
supposed to be to all languages what ASCII is to English: good enough to
store most all basic information encoded in a writing system.

cjs