(keitai-l) Re: GSM, PDC and proprietary systems (was somethin g about WLAN)

From: Kolsky Amir <Amir.Kolsky_at_comverse.com>
Date: 06/20/02
> Even features that may seem inferior to you like SMS can from a
> different perspective have a superior usefulness. For example, the
> fact that SMS has QoS, while email has not. When you send someone an
> SMS you will get a notification telling you if the message has been
> received or if it has failed. In business this can be paramount and
> for many business GSM users it is If someone is in meetings all day
> and you can't seem to get hold of them, you can send them an SMS and
> wait. The moment they get out of their meeting and switch their
> phone back on, they will receive the SMS and you get a confirmation,
> so you know that now is the window you have been trying to find all
> day - now is the time to call the other party.

) This is not always true. SMS messages get lost or not delivered as
) well. The QoS may be better than with i-mode mail but there are no
) real guarantees as far as I can tell. I've also never received
) confirmation of SMS messages being sent. Perhaps this is a network
) configuration setting, but as a user I would feel quite uncomfortable
) knowing that someone could see when I receive my messages.

SMS Ack is a phone feature... Look in the phone menus.
SMS's are always considered to be in transient storage for an undisclosed
length of time, hence they can not be guaranteed to be delivered.