(keitai-l) Re: GSM, PDC and proprietary systems (was somethin g about WLAN)

From: Benjamin Kowarsch <benjk_at_mac.com>
Date: 06/20/02
> ) well. The QoS may be better than with i-mode mail but there are no
> ) real guarantees as far as I can tell. I've also never received
> ) confirmation of SMS messages being sent. Perhaps this is a network
> ) configuration setting, but as a user I would feel quite uncomfortable
> ) knowing that someone could see when I receive my messages.
>
> SMS Ack is a phone feature... Look in the phone menus.

Enabling and disabling the acknowledgements is a phone feature
Generating and sending them is a network feature

> SMS's are always considered to be in transient storage for an
> undisclosed
> length of time, hence they can not be guaranteed to be delivered.

Not quite. SMS messages are queued for a maximum of 72 hours (in the
SMSC). If the recipient has not been signed on for more than 72 hours
while an SMS was due to be delivered to him, then the SMSC will give up
***BUT*** it will send a "delivery failed" message back to the sender
(unless he has disabled the acknowledgements).

Thus, the status of an SMS is always known. It's either delivered or
failed. In that sense it does not get lost. Even if acknowledgements are
disabled, the status of all SMS is logged on the SMSC and archived for
legal reasons (billing information).

regards
benjamin