(keitai-l) Re: GSM, PDC and proprietary systems

From: Ken Chang <kench_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 06/24/02
Curt,

(1) what is WAP?
everything has its features in the core and on the surface,
and everything has life and develops.  card stack was designed
5 years ago for the analog CDPD bearer.  we needed it before,
but if you don't like it, the leave it and WAP is still WAP.

(2) easy to write?
yes, but the wireless part of major content providers cost less
than 10% of over all operational cost.  how much you can squeeze
from that 5-10%?  but WAP saves a lot over the wireless network,
a way more precious resource.

other things to remember:
- DoCoMo will terminate C-HTML in their own hands.
- XML, on which WML is base, will replace HTML.

ever read the C-HTML paper on W3C site?
- i-mode, came from WAP and will return to WAP.

it's easier to convert WML to C-HTML but EZweb now provides good
service to access i-mode sites.  J-Phone has been supporting
C-HTML for long time, but within the network, C-HTML/HTTP should
not be the way to go.

(3) user behavior
I don't think we can agree easily.  I haven't seen any detailed
study on the market segments and their behaviors.  so whatever.

cheers,

Ken