(keitai-l) Re: GSM, PDC and proprietary systems

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 06/26/02
On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, Ken Chang wrote:

> users have to check mail no matter there is one or not average
> Japanese user has about 5-10 messages per day but the majority of
> which are exchanged during one or two sessions with a friend. maybe
> you can tell me how many times an i-mode user checks mail and how many
> times mailbox is empty. how much unnecessary traffic generated?

Sure. The average user hardly ever checks mail; only when coming out of
an area where he's lost coverage (e.g., a nightclub in a basement or
similar) and he thinks someone might have sent him mail while he was
down there.

> ...WAP is still not a perfect solution
> but it's always been the best available technology.

I'm afraid I just can't swallow that one, whole or in pieces.

> please remember all these we have were developed more than 5 years
> ago, in a place where is still today the backwater of mobile
> communication, the US.

Yes. Despite their using the "best available technology."

Did you learn nothing from ISO/OSI?

cjs