(keitai-l) Re: GSM, PDC and proprietary systems

From: Ken Chang <kench_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 06/28/02
hi Curt, you are lucky don't have problem with DoCoMo, but
DoCoMo has problems that i-mode centers crashed well over
100 times since 1999 (much better now when the increase of
subscribers flatted).

there are too many things wrong with i-mode, I personally
reckon TLP is one of the worst.  it's been costing DoCoMo
dearly.  I heard no Japanese company which implements TLP
etc., say they like DoCoMo protocols.  TLP does make easy
a lot of protocols to be added, but it doesn't have to be
as this bad.

WAP 2.0 learned something from i-mode, but still you need
a gateway, and you don't have to care what's behind it.

I understand Mika's "easy to implement" in that we better
use commercial-out-of-the-shelf solutions.  but in case of
wireless network (1) it has very different characteristics,
and (2) it is so expensive (especially the PDC network is
at least 3 times as expensive as GSM, and almost twice as
expensive as early UMTS from Ericsson/Nokia) that I'd say
whatever you pay to fine tune the wireless data services,
you'll get good bonus.

Kolsky, I know (on the 'net) many Indians and Chinese who
studied TCP five years ago.  there were a lot of solutions
using end-to-end or transparent link-level retransmissions.
how about Israelis?  I haven't heard any new developments
for long time.

btw, I'd like to know detailed data about 504 or i-shot,
will really appreciate if anyone tells us.  especially now
NEC learned a lot from Logica/J-Phone about the messaging
system.  many thanks in advance.

cheers,

Ken