(keitai-l) Re: International Usage

From: Ken Chang <kench_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 07/09/02
hi Benjamin,

(1)
>It is not a failure of the Japanese PHS operators, because they were being
>promised by the Japanese government that the transit cost for carrying
>their calls from one location to another would be drastically

as I said PHS never had a chance to compete with PDC - on the same
playground.  any government promise/betray is not relavent unless
you don't think PHS can survive without protection.

now they are playing in the different markets but an American
gorilla has come to chase PHS out of the town.  maybe PHS can
move further and find another market so that "good technology"
can survive?

cellular phone is a much better system for the developing world
where one base station can cover huge area for the low traffic.
new sites can be added as traffic goes up, way more economical
than PHS.

(2)
we have no differences that there are a lot of clever designs
in PHS.  what I mean is that the low level wisdom can't change
the fate of the high level mistake.  the system is wrong from
the beginning - a public cordless phone system is not needed.

for data services, anyone can come out with a good interface
instead of the current TDMA design for voice calls.  GPRS is
also a good design but we certainly don't have the backward
compatibility problem here.  so why PHS (other than reuse)?

cheers,

Ken