(keitai-l) Re: International Usage - PHS vs WLAN

From: Benjamin <bkml_at_mac.com>
Date: 07/09/02
On Tuesday, July 9, 2002, at 10:56 , Paul Hardy wrote:

>> PHS, too does hand-off up although the maximum speed you can move at
>> while a call is in progress is somewhere around 100Km/h (originally it
>> was 40 Km/h).
>
> My b-mobile card keeps me connected, albeit at very low throughput, on
> the
> Shinkansen between Tokyo and Osaka. I thought there might be a PHS cell
> on
> the train (since they're getting the payphone signals to and from the
> train
> somehow).

I'd be surprised if there was a base on the train.

The lower than usual throughput would seem to indicate that the
connection drops a lot and you only get some payload data through "every
once in a while", so to speak.

Interesting that, anyway ...

Nevertheless, there is an easy way to verify. Somebody with a PHS phone
could try to make a voice call at high speed and see what happens. Or
someone may be able to tell from past experience trying to use their PHS
phone on the Shinkansen. Anybody ?

rgds
benjamin