(keitai-l) Re: Camera phones - USB & WPAN

From: Ken Chang <kench_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 08/02/02
someone will like this
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/020802/10455_1.html

btw, Benjamin, I'm afraid your security discussion totally lost
context, both technologies and applications.  though PKI and
asymmetric cryptography may be a solution, they're not designed
for link level security on all the peripheral interfaces:
RS-232, parallel/1284, USB, 1394, CF/PCMCIA, ATA/SCSI, ... etc.,
they will more likely rely on the built-in link level than
application level guards.

both Bluetooth and WLAN use symmetric encryption.  the RC4 is
quite paramount compared with Bluetooth, but still we better
use Rijndael which is the chosen one by NIST.

even you start successfully with DHKE and the public key does
its job, the built-in link encryption can still be broken, that
high speed (1,600 Hz) frequency hopping and fast key stream
change are now things Bluetooth really depends on than a proven
algorithm.  and if its not mathematically proven, any tricks
will be broken and collapse over night.

cheers,

Ken