(keitai-l) Re: Legal colours in GIF

From: Ben Hutchings <ben_at_decadentplace.org.uk>
Date: 08/08/02
On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 08:26:23PM +0900, Kyle Barrow wrote:

> On 2002-08-08 17:55, "Tracey Northcott" <tracey@enfour.co.jp> wrote:
>

> > I have looked but I can't seem to find the answer I need....
> >
> > Is there somewhere that shows a list of the legal (non-dithering) colours
> > for imode GIFs?
> >
> > Obviously the color space for handsets is different, but is there a
> > lowest common denominator?
> >

> i-mode supports the standard 256 colour palette:
>
> http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/english/p_s/i/tag/anime.html#color

There isn't a standard 256 colour palette.  A common choice is the
Netscape colour-cube of 216 colours (6 levels each of red, green and
blue) along with some additional grey-scales and the 16 named
colours.

The palette shown for i-mode has 8 levels of red and green but only 4
of blue (fairly sensible as the human eye is less sensitive to blue).
Since the 16 named colours don't all appear in this (gray doesn't, for
example), I'm wondering whether this information is correct.

> Technically, all 256 colours are legal but "Actual color reproduction may
> differ from model to model" is somewhat an understatement.

Well, what do you think those numbers actually mean?  Without a colour
profile they mean very little.  Trouble is, a mobile phone is going to
be used in a wide variety of lighting conditions, so colour
reproduction will vary even on a single handset.

--
Ben Hutchings  |  personal web site: http://womble.decadentplace.org.uk/
Never put off till tomorrow what you can avoid all together.