(keitai-l) Re: Legal colours in GIF

From: Kyle Barrow <kyle_at_pukupi.com>
Date: 08/08/02
On 2002-08-08 21:07, "Ben Hutchings" <ben@decadentplace.org.uk> wrote:

> There isn't a standard 256 colour palette.  A common choice is the
> Netscape colour-cube of 216 colours (6 levels each of red, green and
> blue) along with some additional grey-scales and the 16 named
> colours.

Correct, there is no universal standard palette that applies to all devices
but there is a "standard" palette defined by DoCoMo for i-mode devices.
Unfortunately it is not based on the Netscape colour-cube which is why so
many Web exported GIFs looks so bad on i-mode phones

> The palette shown for i-mode has 8 levels of red and green but only 4
> of blue (fairly sensible as the human eye is less sensitive to blue).
> Since the 16 named colours don't all appear in this (gray doesn't, for
> example), I'm wondering whether this information is correct.

This is the palette defined in every DoCoMo and KPN Mobile spec so I have no
reason to doubt it. There are Photoshop swatches of this palette floating
around the Web but here is the complete hex list for the masochistic:

000000 000055 0000aa 0000ff
002400 002455 0024aa 0024ff
004900 004955 0049aa 0049ff
006d00 006d55 006daa 006dff
009200 009255 0092aa 0092ff
00b600 00b655 00b6aa 00b6ff
00db00 00db55 00dbaa 00dbff
00ff00 00ff55 00ffaa 00ffff
240000 240055 2400aa 2400ff
242400 242455 2424aa 2424ff
244900 244955 2449aa 2449ff
246d00 246d55 246daa 246dff
249200 249255 2492aa 2492ff
24b600 24b655 24b6aa 24b6ff
24db00 24db55 24dbaa 24dbff
24ff00 24ff55 24ffaa 24ffff
490000 490055 4900aa 4900ff
492400 492455 4924aa 4924ff
494900 494955 4949aa 4949ff
496d00 496d55 496daa 496dff
499200 499255 4992aa 4992ff
49b600 49b655 49b6aa 49b6ff
49db00 49db55 49dbaa 49dbff
49ff00 49ff55 49ffaa 49ffff
6d0000 6d0055 6d00aa 6d00ff
6d2400 6d2455 6d24aa 6d24ff
6d4900 6d4955 6d49aa 6d49ff
6d6d00 6d6d55 6d6daa 6d6dff
6d9200 6d9255 6d92aa 6d92ff
6db600 6db655 6db6aa 6db6ff
6ddb00 6ddb55 6ddbaa 6ddbff
6dff00 6dff55 6dffaa 6dffff
920000 920055 9200aa 9200ff
922400 922455 9224aa 9224ff
924900 924955 9249aa 9249ff
926d00 926d55 926daa 926dff
929200 929255 9292aa 9292ff
92b600 92b655 92b6aa 92b6ff
92db00 92db55 92dbaa 92dbff
92ff00 92ff55 92ffaa 92ffff
b60000 b60055 b600aa b600ff
b62400 b62455 b624aa b624ff
b64900 b64955 b649aa b649ff
b66d00 b66d55 b66daa b66dff
b69200 b69255 b692aa b692ff
b6b600 b6b655 b6b6aa b6b6ff
b6db00 b6db55 b6dbaa b6dbff
b6ff00 b6ff55 b6ffaa b6ffff
db0000 db0055 db00aa db00ff
db2400 db2455 db24aa db24ff
db4900 db4955 db49aa db49ff
db6d00 db6d55 db6daa db6dff
db9200 db9255 db92aa db92ff
dbb600 dbb655 dbb6aa dbb6ff
dbdb00 dbdb55 dbdbaa dbdbff
dbff00 dbff55 dbffaa dbffff
ff0000 ff0055 ff00aa ff00ff
ff2400 ff2455 ff24aa ff24ff
ff4900 ff4955 ff49aa ff49ff
ff6d00 ff6d55 ff6daa ff6dff
ff9200 ff9255 ff92aa ff92ff
ffb600 ffb655 ffb6aa ffb6ff
ffdb00 ffdb55 ffdbaa ffdbff
ffff00 ffff55 ffffaa ffffff

>> Technically, all 256 colours are legal but "Actual color reproduction may
>> differ from model to model" is somewhat an understatement.
>
> Well, what do you think those numbers actually mean?  Without a colour
> profile they mean very little.  Trouble is, a mobile phone is going to
> be used in a wide variety of lighting conditions, so colour
> reproduction will vary even on a single handset.

What I am referring to is ability of different phones to handle the above
colour palette without dithering, not the accurate representation of colour
which will probably have to wait for advances in organic displays.

Kyle

--

http://pukupi.com