(keitai-l) Re: Reading Address Book On GSM Phone

From: Jonas Petersson <zap_at_xms.se>
Date: 08/14/02
Gurmeet wrote:
> I want to create an application through which a user can transfer the
> information on his/her cell phone ( any make
> NOKIA/Ericssion/Motorola/Siemens and lot more ) to his/her PC and then =
can
> upload to a remote server ( may be through a web application) . So that=
 in
> case of loss of cell phone the same information can be downloaded in th=
e new
> handset.

Sounds like a good idea in general, though I suspect that formats will
vary considerably between makes and models.

I have not really had reason to experiment all that much, but from the
Ericsson 788 docs it seems that the AT commands are at least similar to
the Nokia commands, so some probing on various phones may give you
similar listings if you are a bit lucky. (As usual AT commands are not
identical for different makes of modems, but often they are at least
related).

> have a look at the components provided by www.oxygensoftware.com for th=
is
> purpose but they support only NOKIA

Presumably because Nokia has the most frills and (in my experince) the
best public documentation of the commands. =

> and moreover I want to know the format
> and the access mechanism for the information that is stored on the hand=
set.

Well, the AT commands worked fine for me. In fact, when a friend needed
his Ericsson phone's SIM card contents copied to his new operator, I
wrapped up a Linux shell script in ~5 minutes to transfer it - but of
course, I moved the SIM card to my Nokia PhoneCard first... ;-)

> I think it should be something like the conduits we write to synchroniz=
e our
> PDAs with the PC, but need detailed info on that.

Right - still think Gnokii should give you a good start for now.

> Do I still sound like a hacker?

I'll give my vote when I see your result in a few weeks ;-)

				/ Jonas
-- =

Jonas Petersson, X Media Solutions | mailto:Jonas.Petersson@xms.se
Box 3294, Holmbrogr=E4nd 1, S-600 03 Norrk=F6ping | http://www.xms.se/
Tel: +46 (0)11 244805 | Fax: +46 (0)11 244809