(keitai-l) Re: Java running into trouble on cell phones?

From: Ken Chang <kench_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 09/08/02
I'd like to add to Gary's message (which is well said already)

(1) there is no other option to run applications on so diverse
hardware and middelware designs as mobile phones.  Brew may be
an option for cdma handsets, only because Qualcomm is behaving
like Microsoft + Intel.

(2) MIDP is a general standard for a wide range of devices and
we cannot expect it to do everything before dust settles.  it's
a hard job to balance between an elegant/stable framework and
dirty/time-to-market designs.

(3) about DoJa, it's as shite as i-mode and has no technical
advantage/value (some good things, can be better implemented
by anyone else), but ...

unnecessarily complex things it makes, and thankfully bigger
market for Java programmers, a gift in this bad recession.
DoCoMo has plan to promote DoJa overseas.  but as they lost
100 mln US for i-mode, I don't expect they will do better with
DoJa.  every dollar they lose, someone will have to benefit.

as technologies, no worry DoJa will fade out like i-mode.

cheers,

Ken