(keitai-l) Re: logos

From: James Santagata <jsanta_at_audiencetrax.com>
Date: 09/09/02
>From: "Nick May" <nick@kyushu.com>
> What exactly can one use in the way of logos on a website or advert  to
> show a site is imode, j-phone and ezeweb compatible. I assume one can use
> the words themselves,but if one tries to go for a similar typeface/colour
> in each case to the branding of those companies, is that ok? Can one use,
> for example, the red J inside a circle that j-phone use, or the fat yellow
> 'i' of imode?
>
> What is permitted speaking strictly?

Check their websites to find out the terms of usage for their
logos. Many companies have the terms there as well as
some sample logos you can place on your site (like Adobe
Acrobet, Macromedia Flash, Real player, etc.) if you agree
to abide by those terms.

However, they may not allow the actual use of logos
like that. If that is the case and you use the actual logos
or create a confusingly similiar logo such as it would
confuse a prudent individual  as to the source of
the good/service you are opening yourself up to legal issues.

Normally you can, however, use the terms imode, j-phone etc.
on your website. For extra safety be sure to denote they are
trademarks.

For instance it would be legitimate to we have successfully
deployed xyz on imode, j-phone, etc.

** These are based on US trademark law, there may be
nuances/differences with Japanese trademark law.

> What is commonly getawayable with?

It depends on several things:
===================
1) How will you use the logos?
2) How big are you? How many people come to your site?
3) If it comes to the attention of one of these companies will they care and
inform the legal dept?
4) Will their legal department care?

In most cases, the worst you will get is a "cease and desist" letter in
which
case you would just comply and remove the logos.

Unless you really defy the companies or egregriously
violate their trademark, you won't get sued. Especially in this
economy, money is tight and civil litigation for trademarks
infringements is extremely expensive. Their goal is to simply
protect their marks, so that will be their goal.

James Santagata

A U D I E N C E T R A X
http://www.audiencetrax.com