(keitai-l) Re: cdma2000 1x vs W-CDMA

From: Ken Chang <kench_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 11/22/02
>Well, mostly because they need bandwidth and they've run out of capacity...
>And FOMA will, eventually, allow them to provide a wide range of services.

>On 11/22/02 2:03, "Tony Chan" <tc7991@netvigator.com> wrote:
> > Can DoCoMo have both a successful FOMA and PDC service?
> > Why should DoCoMo promote FOMA when the 504s and i-shots phones are
> > selling so well?

the sales of 504i was a disaster, probably because of competition
from the 251i series (i-shot).  while i-shot phones sell well, that's
more because the depressed need for camera phones DoCoMo had failed
to provide.  and why the SH251i, the lowest spec camera phone from
a new comer (Sharp's first phone for DoCoMo) out sold 504i phones is
simply because people really wanted J-Phone Sha-Mail, but found out
later i-shot is a fake, far less usable (and expensive).

well, about FOMA, it doesn't look well and it seams will lose to
J-Phone IMT next year when Vodafone quickly expands its network and
provide much superior data service (OMA?) next summer-autumn.

but I heard that the 505i series (due next spring/summer) will come with a
UIM card, that may pave the way for an easier transition.
anyone (Gemplus, AU-Sys?) know about it?  maybe we should discuss
in another thread, what will be these cards look like for each
Japanese operators?  especially DoCoMo and au/KDDI?

btw, about UMTS, I'd rather call it 2.xG and its 5-20 MHz band means
low efficiency to me.

cheers,

Ken