(keitai-l) Re: J-Phone or au?

From: Jeremy R. Reynolds <jeremyreynolds_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 11/27/02
Daniel,
I've been through them all looking for similar functions to those you need and the answer is easy.... go for AU. Don't believe the hype about J-Phone, I switched to one of their camera phones and lived to regret it, and soon changed back to AU. Why? Much better and faster web, including support for both WAP (i.e. overseas) and i-mode sites, good bilingual phones, cheaper rates, family plan, better voice quality etc. etc. It may not be as trendy (although that may be changing) but as one who made the wrong choice, I'm hoping you won't do the same! Much better than Docomo too, but that's another story...
Cheers,
Jeremy.
 Daniel Helmer <daniel_helmer@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hi all,

As a recent arrival in Tokyo, I need to get myself a keitai ASAP.

So, should I go for J-Phone or au? (don't ask me why not DoCoMo)

Say if I go for the same handset (more or less) like the Sanyo with
bilingual menu (J-SA05 or J-SA51 with J-Phone, or A3015SA with au) - I fancy
that one.

Things to consider are:
- au got faster service, GPS and lower handset cost etc.
- J-Phone seems to have flashier picture services etc.
- is it true you can't send Skymail to au handsets?
- gaijin-friendly content - ezweb vs. J-Sky?
- need good coverage both in Tokyo and Tokai (Shizuoka) region
- I do believe both J-Phone and au has family pricing plans (I need to get
one for my wife too) so I get a bit of discount, but which one is best and
who got cheaper calling plans in general?

What's the pick? (any objective and subjective - more useful actually -
input is most welcome.

Cheers,
Daniel Helmer