(keitai-l) Re: i-appli screen savers

From: Funk <funk_at_rieb.kobe-u.ac.jp>
Date: 12/05/02
these are very interesting (thank you dc) ideas for a lot of reasons. as
many of you know, a lot of people are characterizing the battle for
"platform" dominance in the mobile phone to be between Nokia and Microsoft.
for example, see last week's article in the economist.
http://www.economist.com/research/articlesBySubject/displayStory.cfm?story_id=1454300&amp;subjectID=348909&amp;emailauth=%2527%2528%2520%252E2H%255EW%255CSP%2521%252E%250A
but if a java portal becomes important then who cares about Microsoft's OS
and application programs? instead the issue is java, which is basically
limited by the app size. but the app size will increase as processor speeds
and memory sizes increase. for example, current 504 phones have about
100-200 MHz clock rates or 1/100 the capability of processors on current
PCs (2.2 GHz). but these rates basically double each year and two to the
seventh power is 128.
jeff funk