(keitai-l) Re: i-appli screen savers

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 12/05/02
keitai-l@appelsiini.net writes:
> current 504 phones have about
>100-200 MHz clock rates or 1/100 the capability of processors on current
>PCs (2.2 GHz).

No!

I am sure Jeff Funk was just speaking casually, but it is always worth
repeating that the "capability" of a processor is only marginally related
to its clockspeed. I won't bore the list as to the reasons why as they are
well know. But it does raise an interesting question - what kind of
"power" (the term is deliberately left undefined) would we need to see in
handset cpus and support chips before we could handle - for example -
voice recognition not trivially foolable?  2 times current best handset
capability? 3 times current best handset capability? An order of
magnitude? Will this kind of thing be handles on the main cpu, or is it
likely to be done by a support chip?

Nick