(keitai-l) Re: i-appli screen savers

From: Jay <wirelessjava_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 12/06/02
Hello Jeff
I have worked with BREW and Java (MIDP CLDC)     There are ways to bypass the initial bootup screen that is provided for you for BREW.   But you still need to go to that OS software application management utility to install an appliction, but I believe you can bypass that too.   Essentially,  you could make an application to boot up right when the phone turns on.   I have done this in BREW but not Java.   Java can be run on the brew platform but you may be able to do this in Java also.   Brew differs with Java that you can take full advantage of the BREW OS and not be sandboxed.    Java however is a sandbox model and it does limit it in a good way but it also has some drawbacks like not getting into the OS at a lower level.  Please let me know if I can be any help for you and your research.
---Jay
---Jay

 Funk <funk@rieb.kobe-u.ac.jp> wrote:
A number of content providers offer i-appli screen savers for the 504
phones. Is it possible to use any of these java/brew-based screen savers to
create a new interface to a content provider's content thus bypassing the
service providers menu? if not, will it become possible in next year's
phones. Whether the service providers would or should allow this is one
question, but another set of questions involves the technological
feasibility and the implications for users and content providers. any ideas?
jeff funk

This mail was sent to address wirelessjava@yahoo.com