(keitai-l) Re: SMAF MMF

From: Paul Lester <paul.lester_at_l8tech.com>
Date: 12/12/02
    Lets clarify all this:

    SMF: .mid
        A format used first in Europe on the TS21i phone (and maybe more) which
is almost identical to midi in every way except that not all midi commands
are allowed and it uses a different character set than midi.

 {       SMF is also used to designate midi itself.  There are three main types 0,1 and 2.
    2 is rarely used. }

    Compact midi (cmidi):
        The standard for midi on mobiule devices.... Not used at all as far as I know!

    MFi: .mld
        One of Faith's two main formats which is a lot like midi.
        Used on imode handsets worldwide.

    Cmx: .pmd  (sometimes called cmidi)
        One of Faith's two main formats which is a lot like midi.
        Used on handsets worldwide.

    SMAF: .mmf
        Yamaha's format which requires a long long explanation.
    It is also the format that MA chips understand.  As thus, MA1, MA2 and MA3
have some very big differences, with MA3 being the most like midi.  Yamaha's
homepage explains most of it in English.

    All of these formats can contain wave files on newer handsets.
There are a few other formats: smd, qcp .... etc.

    Some handsets use one format internally and another externally, and
some used multiple formats externally and only one format internally.
So as to what handset uses what format.... that's a big question.

    Some of DoCoMo's phones use Yamaha's chip and FAITH's format (in Japan).
Its a different story in Europe and I don't know all of it.

dc wrote:

> //  SMF isn't a mobile audio format but a standard type 1 or 2 midi format
> //  (*.mid)
> //
> //  SMAF is mobile audio format (*.mmf) wich can contain midi, wave, phrase
> //  and graphics data.
>
> maybe this is a basic question, but how does smaf related to .mld ? do
> docomo phones use smaf at all?
>
> And what exactly is the 'proprietary' part that Faith, Inc invented?
>
> I thought that yamaha's chips (MA1/MA2) now have to support the faith
> format, as docomo chose this.
>
> Faith are also now making CMX content for their US service (running on
> brew) - what's the connection there??!? I thought CMX was Qualcomm's
> technology...
>
> /dc
>
> //
> //  Take a peek at http://smaf.yamaha.co.jp/smaf1-e.html
> //
> //  Regards
> //
> //  Jasper
> //

*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*F=m(dv/dt)
Paul B. Lester
theta division
LincMEDIA Group:(Layer-8 Technologies Inc)
Chief Engineer
Programmer/Chakumelo engineer/DBA/QA etc
EMAIL: paul_lester@lincmedia.co.jp
--
http://www.thetamusic.com/
http://myc.thetamusic.com/