(keitai-l) Re: 7.5% of US SMS messages lost...

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 01/20/03
On Sun, 19 Jan 2003, Jonas Petersson wrote:

> You might also like to complain about a keitai not fitting properly in a
> typical GSM phone case when you are at it...

I can forgive almost everything but not having a way to attach a
strap to the phone. Without that, I've got no place to hang my little
Kato-chan doll!

> > No, what I want is the other way around. Every time an SMS arrives, it
> > gets copied to my computer mailbox as well.
>
> I guess that would be technically possible for you Telco to set up the
> SMSC that handles you phone to do that, but I've never heard anyone
> asking for it before.

It's pretty easy to set up when your text messages are e-mail. I just
get everybody to send the messages to an address on my server instead
of my phone provider's, and my mail server deals with forwarding it
appropriately. (Outgoing messages go back to my mail server first to be
munged before being forwarded to their final destination.)

> Typically you read and respond to the SMS more or
> less instantly on the phone anyway so an email copy isn't all that
> exciting. Perhaps this is another culture thing?

Well, there is a culture thing in that keitai e-mail is the only
e-mail a significant minority of my friends have. But there are other
conveniences:

1. Why diddle with a phone keypad to reply if you happen to have a computer
right in front of you?

2. I have some handy translation tools available to me on my computer
that I don't on my keitai.

3. If your phone is out of range, you can still use the messages. I
spent three weeks in the U.S. and Canada recently, and continued to do
all my text messaging despite my phone out of range.

cjs