(keitai-l) Group calls - 3G killer app?

From: Richard Tee <mlritshirt_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 04/01/03
Was just reviewing the new 'Three' 3G service from Hutchison, out now in the
UK and i think Italy is following shorly. Obviously Hutchison is not hiding
the fact the fact that is a third generation services - wonder how it will
take off amidst the i-mode and V- Live services.

I noticed 'group calls' is an option on the Three handsets, ie have
conference call like opportunities. (up to 5 people simultaneously). See
http://www.three.co.uk/explore/services3/detailVoice.omp?cid=1048167332066
Does anyone know if this is possible with any of the 3G services in Japan?

*IF* i'd have to bet on there being any 3G killer app, my pick would be
these group calls. It seems all historical killer apps (SMS, email,
messaging) have always been about communication and contact and i see group
calls fit into this perfectly. Of course some people might say phone calls
are private conversations (ie 1-to-1) but i can imagine lot's of
opportunities (both business and private) where people would like to chat in
groups.
Thoughts anyone?

- Richard Tee