(keitai-l) Re: Microsoft as VodaFone main competitor

From: Giovanni Bertani <giovanni.bertani_at_exsense.com>
Date: 04/11/03
Venerd=EC, 11 apr 2003, alle 11:38 Europe/Rome, dc ha scritto:

> A very intersting comment. I guess they don't consider Nokia a serious=20=

> =3D
> player :_)

Maybe they already have chosen Symbian for their strategy so Nokia is=20
not a competitor but "Coalition member" (Sorry for the contemporary=20
influence... :-)  )

Not so strangely Nokia has dropped the idea of expanding Club Nokia as=20=

a content channel for their proprietary "user experience"  refocusing=20
on the partnerships with the operators... They started to sell=20
customised 7650s and 3650s to Vodafone...

> But vodafone is trying to control the whole value chain with VFLive=20
> much =3D
> like DoCoMo did (does?).

They direct reference to MS is quite important... As a logic=20
consequence if they want to control the overall "user experience"=20
directly the need to build proprietary features into their phones and=20
not just a bookmark button like on the Panasonic GD87...

So maybe they will try to turn an open and standard based network into=20=

a proprietary one as the Japanese networks.

This could be effective or a boomerang. So maybe there will be some=20
kind of market trials in the future to see how the strategy works and=20
the market reacts...

This is quiet problematic... after the Foma experience looks like that=20=

even Ntt DoCoMo is going in the direction of adopting more open=20
standards.

> However, the biggest recent breakaway hit is ShaMail, which was=20
> created =3D
> really by Sharp, outside of the precious topdown ecosystem docomo is =3D=

> fond of.
>
> If VF does get too powerful they risk slowing down innovation.

VodaFone=3DMicrosoft?

Vodafone-Panasonic-Nokia=3DWintel?

Ciao

Giovanni