(keitai-l) Re: Is music download over 3G a possible business?

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 04/26/03
keitai-l@appelsiini.net writes:

>Apple will introduce is own service by next monday and looks very
>promising but I think it is still a big bet. Why should I use Apple's
>services instead of downloading the same music for free in my iPod?

I can't speak for you (and I appreciate your question is rhetorical), but
I can speak for me, and I guess a fair few others. I DON'T MIND PAYING...
I WANT to pay - something at least, because I can see that a business
model that ultimately involves no transfer of cash from me to the
artists/studio (be that a direct or indirect transfer, and leaving aside
how hideous the studios are) is not sustainable... I also value being able
to have a guaranteed immediate download and having a decent quality
recording.

So yes, people will pay as long as the cost is fairly low. Whether they
will pay to listen on their keitai is a different matter - I am far more
interested in getting speech radio from across the net than some silly pop
song...

Nick