(keitai-l) Re: Is music download over 3G a possible business?

From: Giovanni Bertani <giovanni.bertani_at_exsense.com>
Date: 04/26/03
Sabato, 26 apr 2003, alle 12:55 Europe/Rome, Nick May ha scritto:

> keitai-l@appelsiini.net writes:
>>
>> Apple will introduce is own service by next monday and looks very
>> promising but I think it is still a big bet. Why should I use Apple's
>> services instead of downloading the same music for free in my iPod?
>

> I can't speak for you (and I appreciate your question is rhetorical),
> but
> I can speak for me, and I guess a fair few others. I DON'T MIND
> PAYING...
> I WANT to pay - something at least, because I can see that a business
> model that ultimately involves no transfer of cash from me to the
> artists/studio (be that a direct or indirect transfer, and leaving
> aside
> how hideous the studios are) is not sustainable... I also value being
> able
> to have a guaranteed immediate download and having a decent quality
> recording.

Hi Nick
The question was of course rhetorical.  :-)

I have a lot of CDs and most of the music is not POP and easy to find
on P2P and I think that buying music is even more important to support
artists that are not so "mainstream".  I really have no doubts about
that as you do not have.

The problem I really see is: Are teenagers going to pay when you can
find the last tune at decent quality (For teenagers consumption) on P2P.

Another thing we could ask ourself : Is the traditional music business
model outdated?

This morning I've read this interesting  posting by Howard Rheingold on
www.smartmobs.com :

If P2P file-sharing and collaborative filtering are to replace the
recording industry as we know it, we need a new way of compensating
(and thus incenting) the creators of culture (let's not call it
intellectual property for the sake of argument). Mediagora proposes to
do that.

Principles and goals

www.mediagora.com defines a new market model, based on coherent
principles and goals.

Principles:

Creators should be credited and rewarded for their work
Works can be incorporated into new creative works.
When they are, all source works should be credited and rewarded.
Customers should pay a known price.
Successful promotion of work should be rewarded too.
Individuals can play multiple roles - Creator, Promoter, Customer
Prices and sales figures should be open
Relationships are based on trust and reputation
Copy protection destroys value

Goals:

Creators have 3 main goals - getting heard, getting credited and
getting paid
Customers want to find works and pay a fair price
Creators set the price, customers decide to pay it (or not)
Promoters have an incentive to promote Works, but not to compete with
other promoters for the same work
Working within the system is more attractive than subverting it

Maybe this is the last digirati utopia but P2P remains a destructive
technology for the traditional music distribution model...

> So yes, people will pay as long as the cost is fairly low. Whether they
> will pay to listen on their keitai is a different matter -

If Keitai will have some Walkman-Mp3-player-like features why not?

> I am far more
> interested in getting speech radio from across the net than some silly
> pop
> song...

The concept of "silly" is personal. I like speech radio too but maybe
is not the same for the majority of the teenagers that make most of the
market.

Ciao

Giovanni