(keitai-l) Re: J-SH53 announced on 4/24

From: Jeffrey L. Funk <funk_at_iir.hit-u.ac.jp>
Date: 04/28/03
>I just fail to see the "complex problems" in business
>applications. The only applications who require "bigger programs and
>faster processors" are games. And that's what i-appli are used for
>mostly anyway.
many businesses are considering the tradeoff between calling their
maintenance, sales, or other workers in the field versus sending the
information via mail. don't underestimate the amount of information these
firms want to sent to these workers (e.g., maps, contracts, part lists).
mail is cheaper and may offer fewer errors if the interface can be
improved. indeed improving the mobile phone interface is a key challenge
facing the industry (just ask anyone who isn't in the industry and listen
to them talk about the meaningless of the mobile Internet). there are a lot
of technologies that are being proposed to improve the interface and it's
not necessary to go into them. but in any case, more complex programs will
provide firms with greater number of options in how they design the
interface for their workers.
cheers,
jeff