(keitai-l) Re: SMS and URLs

From: Jeffrey L. Funk <funk_at_iir.hit-u.ac.jp>
Date: 05/08/03
At 16:11 03/05/08 +0900, you wrote:

> > Actually my question was aimed at how operators can move users from SMS
> > messages to browser-based services like WAP or i-mode in Europe. Can
> > european operators use "WAP push" to move users from SMS to WAP sites and
> > their WAP portals? Similarly can european supporters of i-mode use an
> > i-mode form of "WAP push" to move users from SMS to i-mode? I believe these
> > questions have implications for competition between i-mode and SMS and
> > implications for how european operators will eventually move from SMS to
> > some form of browser-based service.
>
>Hm, I am not sure I understand your question...SMS can not get
>replaced with browser services...if my friend sends me an SMS,
>I can reply. That's user generated content and you don't need any
>kind of browser interface for it.
>
>The same in Japan, if somebody sends me email, I can reply.
>No browser interface necessary.
>
>Can you try to rephrase your question?

Some european operators would like to move SMS users to more browser-based
services. For example, as many readers are aware, a lot of europeans vote
and do other things in conjunction with TV programs using SMS. It could be
profitable for some european operators if they can convince these users to
also purchase content from TV broadcasters (e.g, information about actors,
actresses, etc.) and purchase products that are used in TV programs (e.g.,
cosmetics and clothing used by actresses). these content and shopping
services could be more effectively offered in browser-based services than
in SMS.  Similarly in Japan, many content providers use opt-in mail
services to bring users to appropriate places in their sites.
jeff funk