(keitai-l) Re: SMS and URLs

From: Ben Hutchings <ben_at_decadentplace.org.uk>
Date: 05/10/03
> From their statistics P2P is becoming hugely popular and it is
> emerging as the first application. In 2001 the average traffic
> generated by an ADSL user was 3gb and in 2002 the average traffic
> has been 11gb. 40% of the traffic for the average user was in
> uploads.

That's a surprisingly high percentage.  Outbound bandwidth caps for
ADSL tend to be 25% or 50% of the inbound, which means only 20% or 33%
of the sum of the bandwidths.

<snip>
> This emerged clearly from Symbian Exposium 2003. The
> only phone designed  for the Japanese market was the
> Fujitsu FOMA  handset  the only  Symbian device where
> you ca not develop  any  application in C++ but just in
> Java.

The R380 was supposed to be a closed platform too because Ericsson cut
costs by using a processor without an MMU (hence no memory
protection).  However, the application installation code was never
removed from the synchronisation system.  So you can put applications
on there - though building them is another matter, as there is
obviously no SDK.  I wonder if the same is true for this Fujitsu
phone.

<snip>
> Nokia has done a bold decision by not supporting DRM on
> N-Gage and by supporting MP3 and AAC. It it clear that
> they see a quiet different market in EU than Japan.

Symbian OS doesn't currently have the architecture for DRM, and I
don't think they're going to get a lot of fast action games written in
Java, so they didn't have a lot of choice there.

> By the end it is interesting analyzing the user behavior of the
> Europeans and Japanese but this could be not enough.
>
> As Interactive TV based on a controlled network and well
> defined business model has totally failed with huge
> investments and today DVX is the standard de-facto
> for movie distribution over the internet. (Think also
> MP3).
<snip>

I think you mean DivX, which is just an implementation of MPEG 4.
This is the very same encoding used on many mobile phones.

--
Ben Hutchings  |  personal web site: http://womble.decadentplace.org.uk/
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. - Albert Einstein