(keitai-l) Walled Gardens and Java vs. Native Applications

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 05/12/03
On Sat, 10 May 2003, Giovanni Bertani wrote:

> In the same way on this Nec even if you have 32mb o ram there is no
> way to run a native application but just Java. This is clearly a way
> to control content access by building a walled garden with higher
> walls than DoCoMo's one.

You keep saying that native applications are the key to avoiding content
control, and that with Java the users are stuck in a walled garden.
But for users to have any real freedom, no matter what the programming
language, anybody has to have the freedom to write a program and make
it available for download. Is this really the case for native apps in
Europe?

I know that here in Japan, there's no content control for Docomo's Java
applications; anybody can get an SDK, build an application, and make it
available for download to anyone with a phone. AU's BREW applications
are quite the opposite: not only do you have to invest a fair amount of
money into an SDK, but there's a arduous and expensive approval process
that you have to go through to have the application certified and made
available for download. No certification, no download. So if AU sees an
application they don't like, they can block it. Docomo can do no such
thing.

cjs