(keitai-l) Re: (keitai) Closing Walled Gardens and Java vs. NativeApplications - Examples

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 05/14/03
On Tue, 13 May 2003, Giovanni Bertani wrote:

> SMSSend is used for sending SMS messages...
> ...much cheaper than sending an SMS in a normal way.

> ...lets you write new blog entries, send them
> to your blog, edit them afterwards and delete them.
> On top of that, you can take pictures with the
> mobile's built-in camera and include them in
> your posts.

> SeleQ  gives you greater control over your phone=92s
> internal resources. Organise & manage your files, open
> images, capture screen shots and turn your phone into a
> music player.

> All these 3 applications are developed
> and distributed in an independent way.

> The first one goes against the operator interest.
> The second and the third have been developed
> in C++.
>
> The first and the third could never pass an
> operator approval in JP...

The first would certainly pass operator approval in Japan, were any
approvals necessary. They don't use SMS here; when you send e-mail you
pay only the same data charges you'd pay if you sent the same amount of
data any other way, so the operators couldn't care less which method you
used. And of course Java i-Appli like this already exist, anyway. I've
got one that will let me download from a POP3 mailbox, for example.

The third can't be written in Java on the phones available today, but
it could be written in C or C++ for AU's BREW phone. I don't see why it
wouldn't pass operator approval.

cjs